Achieving our commercial revenue objectives requires a sound approach to new business development, executed by staff competent in a range of negotiation and related commercial skills. The quality of outcome from negotiation not only requires a robust commercial approach but it is also dependent upon building and maintaining effective relationships with both customers and internal stakeholders to change attitudes, persuade others and agree ongoing commercial and operational objectives and plans.
This 2 day course is designed to develop a robust commercial approach to negotiation as well as enhance key relationship management skills, including influencing and persuasion in a safe environment for experimentation, practice and feedback, using “real play” scenarios (video is available).
On completion of this course delegates will be better able to:
- Negotiate more confidently, both commercially and operationally, with customers and other contract stakeholders
- Prepare for negotiations with potential customers
- Adopt new approaches to influencing and negotiating with customers and stakeholders, especially where predominant styles are not being effective
- Understand the interpersonal dynamics involved in managing and motivating customers
- Optimise the contract commercial terms agreed with customers
- Establish and maintain sound business relationships with customer personnel and organisations
- The negotiation process and key stages
- Developing a negotiation strategy
- Objective setting, planning and preparing for negotiations
- Effective behaviours in negotiation
- Negotiation and influencing styles
- Persuasion and power and their role in negotiation and customer management
- Developing relationships and handling conflict
The course agenda is structured around a detailed commercial case study, providing delegates with practice in all stages of the negotiation process, culminating in a phased negotiation meeting process, with feedback and next phase planning between phases.
Who Should Attend
- New business and sales personnel involved in bidding for and negotiating contracts with customer organisations
- Contract Managers with responsibility for managing contracts with customers
- Customer personnel responsible for negotiating and managing contracts with suppliers
- Managers of new business, sales, procurement and contract management personnel
This course or the case study can be readily customised to enable client specific scenarios and challenges to be incorporated into course materials and delivery