The role of procurement is increasing in importance as the pressure to deliver efficiency and effectiveness from external suppliers is recognised as an essential competence for public sector organisations. Delivering the benefits of a strategic approach to procurement is only achievable with the understanding, support and cooperation of internal stakeholders, especially the requisitioners and users of bought in goods and services.
This 1 day Public Sector procurement training course is designed to provide internal stakeholders in public sector organisations, especially users and requisitioners, with a firm understanding of the UK Public Sector procurement agenda, regulations and processes so they may better support and contribute to the delivery of value for money from procurement.
On completion of this course delegates will:
- Understand the strategic nature of the role of procurement
- Be familiar with public sector procurement regulations, procedures and activities
- Be aware of other key areas of the UK Public Sector procurement agenda
- Understand the requirement to adhere to procurement policy and guidance
- Understand their role in the procurement process
- Be aware of some of the key risks and pitfalls to avoid as a stakeholder
- Be better positioned to contribute to key procurement objectives such as cost reduction and compliance
- Introduction to procurement and key concepts
- Principles and objectives of public sector procurement
- UK (and EU) Public Sector procurement regulations and procedures
- Topical aspects of the public sector procurement agenda
- Framework agreements
- Sustainable procurement
- Contract management
- Social Value
- Ethical procurement
- Procurement policy and guidance devolved in the public sector
- Contractual and other legislative issues when dealing with Suppliers
Who should attend
- Public sector management and staff who interface with procurement activities and need to better understand the procurement priorities, policies, processes and practices of their organisation.
- Public sector procurement staff, new to their role.
- Suppliers who wish to gain insight to public sector procurement
This course can be readily customised to enable client specific priorities and challenges to be incorporated into course materials and delivery.